Very soon I will have my third offering available, a video lecture for expecting parents titled The Purposeful Use of Music From Pregnancy Through Toddlerhood (including Labor and Delivery). The main thrust of this information will be to support moms (and dads) as they put together their own music listening playlists or CDs to support rhythmic breathing, act as a positive diversion from pain and stress, etc., to be used during labor and delivery.
For this weeks post I want to introduce an information piece that I refer to often and address specifically in the upcoming video lecture The Purposeful Use of Music From Pregnancy...
David Putano, HPMT, MT-BC
Music Therapist – Board Certified
RELATED MUSIC RESEARCH AREAS
Music has been clinically proven to:
- PROVIDE A POSITIVE DIVERSION FROM NEGATIVE EMOTIONS – NOT COMPATABLE WITH WORRY
- ALLOW THE MIND AND BODY TO RELAX AND ACT AS A NON-ANALGESIC SLEEP AID (with no side effects)
- INCREASE THE POSITIVE EFFECTS OF MEDICATIONS
- DECREASE THE PERCEPTION OF PHYSICAL AND EMOTIONAL PAIN
- DECREASE BLOOD PRESSURE, HEART RATE AND RESPIRATION RATE WHILE INCREASING OXYGEN TO THE BLOOD
- DECREASE STRESS LEVELS (increasing endorphin levels, our body's natural opiates)
- AID IN TISSUE REGENERATION (repair)
- AID IN SURGERY SETTINGS BY: DECREASING THE AMOUNT OF ANESTHESIA NEEDED; DECREASING BLEEDING AND SPEEDING UP RECOVERY TIME
- PROVIDE REALITY ORIENTATION AND OFFER A POSITIVE DIVERSION FOR THOSE EXPERIENCING HALLUCINATIONS OR DELUSIONS
- BE AN EFFECTIVE “HELPER” DURING EXERCISE/FITNESS TIMES BY ACTING AS A MOTIVATOR, POSITIVE DIVERSION FROM EXERTION, PACE SETTER, ETC.
- REDUCE THE CONDITIONED SIDE EFFECTS OF CHEMOTHERAPY, i.e., NAUSEA AND VOMITING
- ACT AS AN EMOTIONAL STIMULUS, ELICITING INSTANT FEELINGS AND EMOTIONS (primary cognitive experience)
- INCREASE COGNITIVE (brain) AND PHYSICAL ENERGY AND DECREASE FATIGUE
***The above mentioned benefits of music are more readily attainable when
we utilize music in a purposeful manner, i.e., preferred music
used often with no or minimal distractions.
In upcoming posts I will explain first, the research items listed that directly relate to the aforementioned video lecture then, in future posts, explain all of research areas listed.
My prescription this week??? Again, grab the free download of "Lyrical Imagery" or “High 5” and listen to your favorite music and enjoy!!!!